Resetting a root Password
How to reset a root password in PIAF and generic RHEL(Red Hat Enterprise Linux) based systems.
Having the ability to reset your PIAF password in-case of a lock-out is very vital when it's necessary to keep an open communication. Resetting a password may take a few minutes.
- Reboot your server
- When you see the GRUB loader quickly press a key to disrupt the normal booting process
- Press the letter "e" to edit
- Highlight the vmlinuz ...Kernel selection and press the "e" to edit
- On the end of that line, type,"single" to make the server boot in "single-user mode". Then type "b" this boot the system,and the bash prompt will appear.
- Once the kernel is booted, you should see a command prompt
- Type "passwd root" to reset your password
- Reboot as normal and log in using your new password
You can see, there are options to reset other passwords in PIAF from this menu as well.
*This should work on most RHEL-based systems
***Some devices may have SELINUX enabled or enforced, so it may not work if that is the case.